ATS to probe Mumbai multiple blasts: Maria
Mumbai: Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria on Thursday assured that those responsible for Wednesday’s multiple blasts in Mumbai would not be spared and that the culprits would be brought to book at any cost.
Addressing a joint press conference with Himanshu Roy, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), Maria said, “ATS has taken over the probe. Close to 12 joint teams of ATS and Crime Branch have been formed and we are being closely assisted by Central agencies. This case is being taken up on priority."
Assuring people that no effort would be spared to bring the perpetrators of the latest terror strike to justice, he said, "We request the public to have faith and trust in the police. So far no (terror) case has gone undetected and the persons responsible for the blasts will be brought to book. We will get you the accused."
The ATS chief also informed that three offences have been filed in various police stations in Mumbai and they were probing all angles.
Maria confirmed that at least 18 people have been killed in yesterday’s blasts, which left 133 inured. He added that the Opera house was worst hit by the blast where ten people had died and 73 had sustained minor to major injuries.
The ATS chief, while refusing to divulge details about the line of investigation, said, “We are not ruling out any angle. All aspects are being explored. Are possibilities are being looked into. It is too early to say anything or draw any inference. “
Replying to questions about the possibility of human bomb being used in the blast, Maria said, “Prime facie it appears that human bomb was used, but we can’t say anything right now.
To a question on cross border link to the blasts, Maria said, “We are not leaving anything for chance and our investigators are also not keeping any particular group in mind while investigating the case.”
The ATS chief refused to divulge anything about the progress made in the investigations so far but said that forensic evidence collected so far points to the use of Ammonium Nitrate and timer devices in the blasts. However, he asked the newsmen to wait a little before jumping to any conclusion.
"Samples have been taken from the blast sites. Forensic experts are sifting through the debris for more evidence. It is too early to say anything regarding the kind of explosives used. Because of rains it will take a little longer for us to determine the nature of blasts and devices used in them,” he said.
The ATS chief requested people not to indulge in rumour mongering. "Even this morning there were rumours about six unexploded bombs being found in the city. We request people not to believe in such rumours and assist the administration in maintaining peace."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday