Atwal halted by weather in FedEx play-offs
New Jersey: Arjun Atwal had a promising start but it was cut short by Hurricane Irene and he was left stranded at two-under through 11 holes in the first round of the Barclays Championships, the first leg of the FedEx Cup play-offs.
Atwal had a bogey on the fourth but soon after that he birdied the sixth, ninth and 10th before play was stopped on account of inclement weather. He was provisionally 40th at that stage.
Among other Asian names was KJ Choi (70) in tied 64th, while YE Yang was two-under through 16 holes.
Harrison Frazar took the lead at seven-under 64 after a soggy and wet start to the FedEx Cup, as Hurricane Irene hit the area.
The event is expected to be hit heavily by the Hurricane and there is a strong possibility of it being cut short.
Vijay Singh and Jonathan Byrd shot 65 each, while Adam Scott, Charley Hoffman and Ryan Palmer had 66s and top seed Nick Watney opened with a 67 as 51 players did not finish their first round.
When play was stopped, William McGirt had seven birdies in an eight-hole stretch and he was seven-under through 11 holes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Need to change laws, speed up processes to transform India: PM Narendra Modi