Atwal zooms 12 places to tied 40th after Rd 2 of HSBC C`ship
Shanghai: Indian golfer Arjun Atwal rode on his front nine to bring home an improved card of one-under 71 and surge 12 places up the leaderboard at tied 40th, after the second round of the WGC HSBC Champions here on Friday.
An erratic Atwal traded four birdies against three bogeys to take his two-day total to 144.
A 10th tee starter, Atwal stumbled on a bogey at the second hole but he made amends by picking up a birdie at the 16th, but back-to-back bogeys at the 17th and 18th holes meant he made the turn at two-over.
However, the orlando-based Indian shrugged off the back nine blues and fired a couple of birdies in the first two holes to draw level-par, and then picked up a stroke on the eighth hole, to finish even par for the day.
At the top, Italian Francesco Molinari continued to hold the lead with a two-under 70 at nine-under 135, while new world number one Lee Westwood of England was in the second position with an identical 70.
Former World number one Tiger Woods lost three places to lie tied ninth after turning in an level-par 72 in the second round at the Sheshan International here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16