Aussie town officially stops sale of bottled water
Bundanoon (Australia): A small town in the
Southern Highlands of Australia has launched an initiative to
halt the sale of commercially bottled water, a move that
has drawn attention both in the country and abroad.
Under Bundanoon`s "Bundy on Tap" programme, local
retailers have voluntarily agreed to stop selling plastic
bottled water and residents will now use refillable water
bottles to fill up with water locally sourced at water
stations around the town.
Organizers are presenting Bundanoon, a community of some
2,000 people located 150 kilometers southwest of Sydney, as
"Australia`s first bottled water free town" and "possibly
the world`s first."
"Here in Bundanoon, our aim is to show the Australian
and global community that we no longer have to pay the
financial and environmental cost of bottled water," local
resident and program spokesman Huw Kingston said.
Kingston was instrumental in instigating the grassroots
venture when he wrote an article that criticized the
community`s opposition to a water extraction plant that was
being built near the town.
Norlex Holdings, the company behind the water extraction
site, had planned to drill into an underground water bore and
then bottle the water and resell it to the community.
In July, the community voted overwhelmingly to ban the
sale of bottled water during a town meeting.
The town does not plan to extend the ban to all plastic
bottled drinks, however, describing that suggestion as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning