Australian Open: Bopanna-Qureshi move into Rd 3
Melbourne: India`s Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan entered the third round of men`s doubles in Australian Open after a hard-fought three-set 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 victory over the Frenchmen Jeremy Chardy and Arnaud Clement.
The "Indo-Pak Express", who had an easy outing yesterday during their first round match against Brazilian pair of Franco Ferreiro and Andre Sa, faced a tough challenge from the French duo.
The 10th-seeded Asian duo scored just one break point in the first set to bag it 6-3, but the pair lost the momemtum in the next set, even as their opponents cashed in on their chances to return the favour 4-6.
The final and the deciding set saw both the doubles teams fight it hard to reign supreme but it was Bopanna-Qureshi who finally managed to prevail with a 6-4 win to seal the match in little over one and a half hours.
Bopanna-Qureshi, runners-up of last year`s US Open, will next play France`s Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimmonjic of Serbia.
Meanwhile, the Indian duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi will face Spain`s Feliciano Lopez and Juan Monaco of Argentina in their second round match tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death