Azarenka eases into last eight at Roland Garros
Paris: World number four Victoria Azarenka of Belarus smoothly advanced into the French Open quarter-finals with a 6-2 6-3 win over Russian Ekaterina Makarova on Monday.
Fourth seed Azarenka, the highest seed left in the draw, raced through the opening set as Makarova struggled to cope with pressure on court Suzanne Lenglen.
The first four games of the second set went against serve but Azarenka, who has never made it past the last eight in a grand slam event, eventually overpowered Makarova.
She will next face sixth seed Li Na, the first Chinese woman to reach the quarter-finals at Roland Garros.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets