Badminton: Jwala-Diju aim top-five by year end
New Delhi: Brimming with confidence after becoming the first Indian mixed doubles pair to win a Grand Prix Gold title in Chinese Taipei, Jwala Gutta and V Diju have now set their eyes on cracking the top-five of world ranking by the year end.
The world number seven Indian pair won the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix Gold yesterday after notching up a straight-game win over Indonesian duo of Hendra Aprida Gunawan and Vita Marissa in the final.
"I don`t want to think much about the ranking but ideally we would like to break into the top five. That would be our aim but we will have to work really hard for it," Jwala told reporters from Taiwan.
Her partner Diju, however, said the ranking would be very important as it would be the qualifying criteria for Super Series Master Final in December.
"We are aiming at the Super Series Masters Final which is by the year end and according to the BWF rules, only the top eight teams qualify for that. So our aim would be to reach at least quarterfinal of each of the tournaments that we play from here on so that our ranking doesn`t slump," Diju said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video