Badrinath cut off, pilgrims advised not to visit area
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand government on Sunday
issued an advisory asking pilgrims not to visit Badrinath
shrine for time being after it was cut off from the rest of
the country due to a cloudburst in Chamoli district.
District Magistrate Chamoli Arun Dhaundiyal today issued
the advisory asking pilgrims not to come to Badrinath temple
where a big stretch of road at Lambagar was snapped due to
cloudburst last night.
Dhaundiyal said that 1,000 pilgrims were struck at
various points in and around Badrinath and the district
administration was trying to provide facilities like food
items to them. The road is expected to be repaired by
Meanwhile, BRO personnel have started work to repair the
road and clear debris on the Badrinath-Rishikesh highway at
Lambagar, a highly fragile zone in the Himalayan belt.
A temporary bridge has also been erected in the area which
can be used by people, though it is not for any vehicular
Officials sources said the pilgrims who are stranded at
Joshimath have been advised to continue to stay for a few more
days till the alternate arrangements are made.
Scores of pilgrims are killed every year at Lambagar area
due to landslides which are common during the monsoon season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Samsung beat Apple in smartphone shipments amid positive results
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said