Baljit left out of probables for Asian Champions
Bangalore: Goalkeeper Baljit Singh, who made
a comeback to the Indian hockey camp after two years in
wilderness, could not make the core group and was left out of
the 48-strong list of probables for the first Asian Champions
Trophy in September.
The three-day trials to prune the list of probables for
the event concluded at the Sports Authority of India Centre,
here last evening.
Baljit`s selection for the camp had created quite a buzz
about the 29-year-old goalkeeper, who was sidelined after a
golf ball hit his right eye during practice in 2009.
There was fear of him losing vision but corrective
surgeries later, he was back on the field even though he
admitted that the layoff nearly destroyed his composure.
But he could not make the cut for the probables` list.
The rest of the group has no surprises to offer with familiar
faces getting the selectors` nod.
Hockey India Selectors Col. Balbir Singh, BP Govinda,
Thoiba Singh and AB Subbaiah, besides Government Observer
Dilip Tirkey witnessed the trials.
The Asian Champions Trophy is scheduled to be played at
Ordos, China from September 3 to 12 where the first six of the
2010 Guangzhou Asiad shall participate.
The teams are Pakistan, Malaysia, India, South Korea,
Japan and China.
The selection committee shortlisted the 91 campers to the
core group of 48 probables for future tournaments.
The coaching camp had commenced on July 1 and will
conclude on July 31, Hockey India said in a statement.
The second phase of the camp will also be held at
Bengaluru from August 8 till departure to China on August 28
with 18 players.
Goalkeepers: Bharat Chetri, Adrian D`Souza, PR Sreejesh,
Defenders: Rupinder Pal Singh, Sandeep Singh, William
Xalxo, VR Raghunath, Harpreet Singh, Gurjinder Singh, Diwakar
Midfielders: Sardar Singh, Gurbaj Singh, Vikram Pillay,
Arjun Halappa, Vikas Sharma, Vikram Kanth, Bharat Chikara,
Danish Mujtaba, Prabodh Tirkey, Vikas Pillay, Birender Lakra
Jr., Ravi Pal, Ignace Tirkey, Manjit Kullu, Kothajit, Manpreet
Singh, Ajitesh Roy.
Forwards: Rajpal Singh, SV Sunil, Tushar Khandker, Amar
Aiyamma, Mandip Antil, Shivendra Singh, Bikas Toppo, Sarvanjit
Singh, Roshan Minz, Nithin Thimmaiah, Prabhdeep Singh, Banmali
Xess, Akashdeep Singh, Gurvinder Singh Chandi, Pradhan
Somanna, Prabhjot Singh, Yuvraj Valmiki, Dharamvir Singh,
Chinglinsana, Ramandeep Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!