Ball to start rolling for 3G spectrum auction on Thursday
New Delhi: Finally starting the process to
auction 3G spectrum to potential telecom operators, the
government is likely to issue guidelines giving details about
the number of blocks to be sold and other related information.
Sources close to the development said that the Department
of Telecom (DoT) has finalised the details and is likely to
permit only four private players in five circles while three
private operators in the rest of India. There are 22 circles
across the country.
They, however, declined to name the circles having four
private players for 3G mobile telephone services.
Telecom Minister A Raja is understood to called a
meeting of senior DoT officials today and decided to invite
applications from the operators tomorrow.
Sources said the Notice Inviting Applications
(guidelines) will also clear the DoT`s views on inviting
foreign telecom firms to participate in the 3G spectrum
auction and they are likely to be allowed to operate as
stand-alone 3G operators here.
The government has earmarked up to Rs 35,000 crore from
the sale of spectrum in the current financial year and major
part of this would have to come from the auction of 3G
Sources said that differences between Telecom and Defence
ministries have been ironed out and spectrum will be given to
all the winners simultaneously in September this year but the
full payment would have to be made within March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it