Ball to start rolling for 3G spectrum auction on Thursday
New Delhi: Finally starting the process to
auction 3G spectrum to potential telecom operators, the
government is likely to issue guidelines giving details about
the number of blocks to be sold and other related information.
Sources close to the development said that the Department
of Telecom (DoT) has finalised the details and is likely to
permit only four private players in five circles while three
private operators in the rest of India. There are 22 circles
across the country.
They, however, declined to name the circles having four
private players for 3G mobile telephone services.
Telecom Minister A Raja is understood to called a
meeting of senior DoT officials today and decided to invite
applications from the operators tomorrow.
Sources said the Notice Inviting Applications
(guidelines) will also clear the DoT`s views on inviting
foreign telecom firms to participate in the 3G spectrum
auction and they are likely to be allowed to operate as
stand-alone 3G operators here.
The government has earmarked up to Rs 35,000 crore from
the sale of spectrum in the current financial year and major
part of this would have to come from the auction of 3G
Sources said that differences between Telecom and Defence
ministries have been ironed out and spectrum will be given to
all the winners simultaneously in September this year but the
full payment would have to be made within March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Left Front to hit the streets against post-poll violence
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day