Balotelli abused as Italy draw with Romania
London: Romania striker Ciprian Marica scored at both ends in a 1-1 draw with a disjointed Italy on Wednesday but racist boos and banners towards Mario Balotelli marred the friendly.
Marica grabbed a deserved opener after 34 minutes when he rifled in following a spot of pinball in the box but he also deflected in substitute Fabio Quagliarella`s header following a corner eight minutes from time.
Juventus forward Quagliarella tried to claim the goal, having earlier come on for striker Balotelli who was subjected to racist booing from the crowd with the origins of the chants unclear.
However, Italian ultra fans did unveil a banner reading "no to a multi-ethnic national team".
"I am disappointed and angry, we give lots of speeches and then these things happen," Italy coach Cesare Prandelli told Rai television.
"But the lad must know that everyone has affection for him. I would like to see some sort of positive gesture towards him, maybe someone needs to give him a hug."
The Azzurri`s last Euro 2012 qualifier at home to Serbia was abandoned after six minutes last month when right-wing away fans rioted but Italy have long struggled with their own "ultra" supporters with Romania having sporadic problems too.
Manchester City`s Balotelli, Italy-born and of Ghanaian descent, was subjected to racist abuse from Juventus fans in particular while playing for Inter Milan as a teenager.
Prandelli handed debuts to four players, including Argentina-born midfielder Cristian Ledesma which has also upset the ultras, but the experimental lineup meant there was little fluency or cohesion.
Brescia`s ex-West Ham United playmaker Alessandro Diamanti was anonymous and taken off at the break on his first appearance as a replacement for Antonio Cassano, dropped after being suspended by Sampdoria for swearing at the club president.
Balotelli returned in the rain and offered the only real first-half spark for Italy, managing two good shots, while substitute Alberto Gilardino was lively in the second period.
"We came up against a very aggressive side," Prandelli added. "In the second half we worked better, found more spaces. It was fantastic that we didn`t want to lose this game."
Romania, struggling in fifth in Euro 2012 Group D in contrast to Italy who top Group C, looked composed on the ball except for being rattled by Gilardino after the break.
The only negative was defender Cristian Chivu limping off with a muscle injury after 15 minutes to hand faltering club side Inter Milan a fresh blow after a string of other injuries.
The friendly was played in Austrian Euro 2008 host city Klagenfurt for commercial reasons and because of its geographical position between Romania and Italy.
The Azzurri are back in qualifying action on March 25 in Slovenia while the Romanians visit Bosnia a day later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in