Bandra-Worli Sea link to be part of Mumbai Marathon route
Mumbai: Runners participating in the Standard
Chartered Mumbai Marathon on January 17, 2010 will run on the
Rajiv Gandhi Bandra Worli Sea link, which will be part of the
42.1 km course, organisers said here today.
The seventh edition of the race which will have 14,500
runners taking part in full marathon and half marathon will
offer USD 3,10,000 in prize money, an increase of USD 60,000
from last year.
For the first time in seven years there will be a
separate start for half marathon which will commence at Bandra
and end at CST.
The change has been necessitated by the need to avoid
convergence of the runners of the two categories and give the
participants of the full marathon a clear route from start to
finish, the orgainsers said.
The marathon has also been upgraded by the world
athletics body, IAAF, to a gold level status, from the silver
level status it enjoyed till last year.
The full marathon has received 3,500 entries, while the
half marathon has received 11,000. The senior citizens` run
will have 1800 participants, wheel chair 150, and 22,000 have
registered for the Dream Run, to raise money for charity.
The winners of the full marathon in the men and women`s
category will receive USD 35,000 and USD 31,000 respectively.
The best Indian finisher in the men`s and women`s category
will receive USD 6,000 each, as compared to USD 2,500 offered
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh