Bangladesh overwhelmed by reaction to Messi visit
Dhaka: The Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) are being inundated with requests from supporters and sponsors all desperate to grab a piece of the action when Argentina and Nigeria clash in Dhaka next month.
The two teams will play an international friendly match at the Bangabandhu National Stadium on Sept. 6 which is being described as the biggest ever soccer event to be held in Bangladesh.
World Player of the Year Lionel Messi will lead a star-studded Argentina team to Dhaka with Nigeria also sending a full-strength side.
"We are overwhelmed by the response from the fans. Sponsors are showing a lot of interest," Anwarul Huq, chairman of the match organising committee, told Reuters.
Local media reported that the BFF were selling the rights of everything associated with the match - from an official dinner to the bus bringing the teams to the venue.
A local event management firm has bought the rights for the dinner where a maximum of 250 seats will be available for supporters to eat with officials, sponsors and the teams.
There will also be an auction for supporters attending the dinner where they can buy different souvenirs and autographed pictures and shirts of famous players.
The BFF are also closing in on a deal with a local sponsor, who will brand a vehicle carrying Argentina fans to follow the team bus carrying Messi and his team mates, officials said.
Twice world champions Argentina are hugely popular in soccer-obsessed Bangladesh where their former captain and coach Diego Maradona is worshiped like a demigod.
Argentina will also play Venezuela on Sept. 2 in neighbouring Indian city Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs