Bangladesh to host inaugural SAFF club championship
New Delhi: The South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) has decided to start a new tournament, SAFF Club Championships, with the inaugural edition to be held in Bangladesh from September 1-15.
The decision to introduce the tournament was taken during the SAFF seminar held here on April 14 which was attended by sports minister Ajay Maken, Asian Football Confederation chief Mohamed Hammam and AIFF president Praful Patel among others.
Two clubs from the host country -- this time from Bangladesh, two from India and one club each from other SAFF countries will participate in the tournament.
The exact format and modalities of the SAFF Club Championships will be decided after receiving the budget from Bangladesh Football Federation, the event organisers, a release from the South Asian body said.
SAFF comprises eight countries -- India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives.
It was also decided to conduct a tournament for U-16 national teams of the SAFF countries in July/August 2011. The venue and format of the tournament will be decided after receiving proposals from the member associations.
The flagship SAFF Championships, which is scheduled in India from December 1-15, will be a biennial affair to be held in the first half of December.
SAFF member associations have also been requested to express their interest in hosting 2012 SAFF Championships for Women. Sri Lanka has offered to host the tournament in case no other country expresses interest to host it.
India will host an U-13 football festival this year, said the release issued by SAFF general secretary Alberto Colaco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27