Bank stocks plunge
Mumbai: Ahead of the quarterly monetary policy review of RBI, banking stocks on Tuesday tanked on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) led by ICICI Bank which fell 3 percent, as the key policy rates remained unchanged.
Shares of the largest private sector lender ICICI Bank dropped 2.76 percent to a low of Rs 763.
Banking stocks were the hardest hit in morning trade today and the 18-share index fell 1.63 percent to a low of 8,193.07 points.
After a weak opening on the exchanges, shares of the State Bank of India fell to a low of Rs 1,680.10, down nearly 2 percent over previous closing.
HDFC Bank fell 2 percent to a low of Rs 1,406 and PNB dipped nearly 2 percent to Rs 714 on the BSE.
Other major losers on the index include Axis Bank (down 1.81 percent), Bank of India (down 1.97 percent), Canara Bank (down 0.93 percent), IOB (down 0.83 percent), Karnataka Bank (down 1.41 percent), Kotak Bank (down 0.03 percent), Oriental Bank (down 0.33 percent).
RBI in its quarterly monetary policy today did not tinker with the key rates.
Some of the scrips which defied the trend include, IDBI Bank (up 2.79 percent), Indusind Bank (up 0.33 percent), Union Bank (up 0.45 percent), Allahabad Bank (up 0.17 percent), Bank of Baroda (up 0.06 percent), Federal Bank (up 1.34 percent) and Yes Bank (up 0.12 percent).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly