Banks have scope to reduce lending rates: Subbarao
Mumbai: Reserve Bank Governor D Subbaro on Tuesday said there is scope for banks to lower lending rates
"Banks say that the demand for credit is picking up on
the back of investment in projects...Banks have scope to
reduce the lending rates," Subbarao told in his customary
post-credit policy press conference, justifying the bank`s
decision to keep the key rates unchanged.
The RBI governor said bankers informed him that the
demand for credit in certain segments like home and retail is
picking up, which was a welcome sign.
Subbarao said he saw visible signs of economic
recovery. However, he said, there are certain risk factors in
the economy, especially in the farm sector, given the
uncertainty over the monsoon.
He expressed concern that the performance of farm sector
could have a spill over effect on the industrial sector as
Subbarao also felt that exports have not picked up,
recording a slowdown for the last eight months. Though exports
form only 15 percent of the GDP, it could pose risks to the
economic revival, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark