Banks should indicate time frame for cheques collection: RBI
Mumbai: The Reserve Bank today proposed
fixation of time frame by banks for collection of local and
outstation cheques to tighten norms for payment system in the
"Banks need to indicate in their Cheque Collection
Policies (CCPs) the timeframe for collection of local and
outstation cheques, apart from other aspects advised to them
from time to time," RBI said in a draft on Payment Systems in
The CCPs need to be widely publicised and also published
in the respective banks’ websites, RBI said in the draft
seeking public comments by end of this month.
RBI also proposed that the CCPs framed by banks should be
made comprehensive in terms of scope, coverage, transparency
"It will be ensured that banks strictly operate within
the meaning and intent of the CCPs especially in regard to
timeframe for collection, grievance redressal mechanism and
penalties for non-conformity," RBI said.
RBI also said that it will frame guidelines for
collection of foreign-currency denominated cheques payable in
UK and locations that have significant volumes, in addition
to the timeframe specified for collection of US-Dollar
It also said that charges levied for offering various
payment products will be constantly reviewed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory