Barack Obama third consecutive US President to retain office
Washington: Barack Obama is the third consecutive president of the US to retain office after his predecessors George W Bush and Bill Clinton.
Obama became the only African American to hold the office of President in 2009 and he has now defeated Republican Mitt Romney to get a second term in the White House.
His predecessor George W Bush served as US president from 2001 to 2009.
William J Clinton, better known as Bill Clinton, became president in 1993 and went on to retain his office till 2001.
Before him, George HW Bush had a single term from 1989-93.
His predecessor Ronald Reagan won in 1981 and then retained the presidentship, with his term ending in 1989.
Three presidents before him - James Carter 1977-81, Gerald R Ford 1974-77 and Richard M Nixon 1969-74 - served single terms.
The norm is that no US President serves more than two terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!