Barca relief as tests rule out Messi muscle injury
Madrid: Leaders Barcelona breathed a sigh of relief on Thursday after tests showed that a suspected injury to joint La Liga top scorer Lionel Messi on international duty with Argentina was merely a scare.
The World Player of the Year, level on 27 goals with Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, pulled out of Argentina`s friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday as a precaution.
He had tests on the adductor muscle in his right leg on Thursday at a clinic in the Catalan capital as Barca prepare to defend their five-point lead over chasing Real Madrid at third-placed Villarreal on Saturday.
"Once the tests were completed doctors ruled out any muscle injury," Barca said.
"The player will have physiotherapy between now and Saturday, when a decision will be taken on his participation in the Villarreal game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader