Barca will fight to the end for Fabregas: Pep
Barcelona: Barcelona are ready to fight to bring Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas back to the club right up until the transfer deadline on August 31, coach Pep Guardiola said on Tuesday.
Barca are in talks with Arsenal to buy the Spain midfielder, a long-term target for the Spanish and European champions, Guardiola, flanked by sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, told a news conference.
"This year Arsenal has agreed to negotiate and we are working on it," Guardiola said.
"Barcelona has made an offer, Arsenal another and we have time until August 31 and we`ll try to reach an agreement," added the 40-year-old.
"There is a sum of money in the strong box set aside for this signing but if it doesn`t work out it will be kept in the box for something else.”
"We will fight to the end to try to get Cesc because we believe he will improve the team and the squad."
Fabregas, 24, came through Barcelona`s youth academy at the same time as World Player of the Year Lionel Messi before joining Arsenal in 2003 at the age of 16.
He discussed his situation with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger when he returned for pre-season training this month and did not join his team mates on a tour of Asia due to injury.
Wenger is trying to convince Fabregas there would be no greater achievement for him than to lead Arsenal to success and that it is not the right time for him to leave England.
Guardiola said that despite the push to land Fabregas, his priority was to sign a forward and Zubizarreta said the club was close to completing the purchase of Chile striker Alexis Sanchez from Serie A side Udinese.
Barca were also on the verge of selling striker Bojan Krkic to AS Roma, who have hired former Barca B coach Luis Enrique to lead them for the coming season, Zubizarreta added.
"As we understand it we are in the final stages of the negotiations and an agreement will happen very soon," former Barca and Spain goalkeeper Zubizarreta said.
"But I would have said the same thing this time last week. As in a good film, it seems sometimes the end takes a little longer," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday