Barcelona`s Iniesta to miss Real Madrid clash
Madrid: Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta will miss Wednesday`s Champions League semi-final first leg against Real Madrid, coach Pep Guardiola said.
"Andreas Iniesta is out," Guardiola told reporters at a news conference at Real`s Bernabeu stadium on Tuesday.
"He won`t be there. One hundred percent," he added. "Maybe we will change formation."
Barca said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.cat) that the Spain international had a calf strain and had only been able to train for 10 minutes away from the rest of the team on Tuesday.
The creative Iniesta is typically deployed on the left side and is an important component of Barca`s fast-flowing, attacking play.
Guardiola -- already struggling with injuries to several defenders -- could replace him with reserve player Thiago Alcantara, who has impressed on several recent appearances for the first team, or Netherlands international Ibrahim Afellay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister