Barry will captain England against Ghana
London: Fabio Capello will make at least seven changes for England`s friendly against Ghana on Tuesday and has named Gareth Barry as stand-in skipper for the Wembley match.
Newly re-instated captain John Terry was one of five players released from the squad following the 2-0 Euro 2012 Group G qualifying win over Wales at Cardiff, and with Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard out injured, Barry will take the armband against the World Cup quarter-finalists.
Barry, who has won most of his 45 caps under Capello, did not play against Wales and was not among the substitutes either.
"He is a good player, he has played most matches for me and is a good captain, he is also the one with most caps," the Italian told reporters after training at a sunny Wembley.
Capello was quoted on Saturday as saying he would make 11 changes for the game, but on Monday said he would probably make seven.
He has allowed Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole of Chelsea, Wayne Rooney of Manchester United and Michael Dawson of Tottenham Hotspur to return to their clubs ahead of next week`s Champions League matches.
"For them to play four matches in 10 days would be too much," he explained.
He confirmed goalkeeper Joe Hart would start but that Robert Green, who has not played for England since his blunder against the United States in the World Cup, could appear later.
He also said that Phil Jagielka, Gary Cahill, Leighton Baines and Andy Carroll would start the match as would Scott Parker if he was fit.
Teenager Jack Wilshere, who had a fine game partnering Parker in the centre of midfield against Wales will also probably play with Capello continuing to experiment with a 4-3-3 shape rather than his traditional 4-4-2.
"It will be three in the midfield," he said, adding he would not finalise the rest of his lineup until Tuesday.
"If Parker is fit he will play," he said. "He`s got some little problem but I hope he will be fit."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview