Batala quiet, no day curfew from on Tuesday
Batala (Punjab): Curfew, clamped on the
town after violence over publication of a picture of Jesus
Christ, was relaxed on Monday for over an hour during which no
untoward incident was reported, prompting authorities to lift
the restriction during day-time from Tuesday.
The curfew would be lifted from 6 AM to 6 PM from Tuesday in view of the improvement in the situation, officials said.
A compromise was reached between the two warring
communities which also facilitated lifting of the restriction
during day-time, they said.
However, the curfew would remain in force after the dusk
beginning 6 PM, the officials said.
The curfew was relaxed for nearly one-and-a-half hour
today to enable people to buy essential commodities, police
said adding no untoward incident was reported during the
The government had ordered a magisterial probe into the
publication of the picture, the officials said adding the
report would be submitted within 15 days.
Meanwhile, several organisations including the Shiv Sena,
the Bajrang Dal and the VHP, took out a march from Kila Mandir
to Nehru Gate in the town.
Curfew was imposed on the town on Saturday after members
of the two communities clashed and vandalised public property
over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ allegedly in an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere