Battle will decide fate of the nation: Assad
Syria: As the battle between the Syrian government forces and rebels rages across Syria, President Basher al-Assad on Wednesday stated that the conflict will decide the fate of the nation, according to a BBC report.
The written statement was made by the Syrian President to mark the Armed forces day. It further read, "The fate of our people and our nation, past, present and future, depends on this battle."
Assad’s statement came amidst fighting that has been taking place in Damascus and Aleppo. Thousands of civilians have fled the area fearing for their own safety.
For the first time, clashes were reported in the Old City of Damascus close to two Christian areas.
Amidst heavy firing and gunshots, several in the embattled Syrian city of Aleppo have escaped but many are trapped as they find it “dangerous” to flee the city, a UN official said.
Thousands in Aleppo have been compelled to seek refuge in schools, mosques and public buildings, but there are others who haven`t fled the city as they haven`t had the means, said Melissa Fleming, spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Aleppo, a city inhabited by 2.5 millions, has been mired in a severe conflict for a week now, and UN figures suggest a total of 15,000 to 18,000 have been displaced.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org