Battle will decide fate of the nation: Assad
Syria: As the battle between the Syrian government forces and rebels rages across Syria, President Basher al-Assad on Wednesday stated that the conflict will decide the fate of the nation, according to a BBC report.
The written statement was made by the Syrian President to mark the Armed forces day. It further read, "The fate of our people and our nation, past, present and future, depends on this battle."
Assad’s statement came amidst fighting that has been taking place in Damascus and Aleppo. Thousands of civilians have fled the area fearing for their own safety.
For the first time, clashes were reported in the Old City of Damascus close to two Christian areas.
Amidst heavy firing and gunshots, several in the embattled Syrian city of Aleppo have escaped but many are trapped as they find it “dangerous” to flee the city, a UN official said.
Thousands in Aleppo have been compelled to seek refuge in schools, mosques and public buildings, but there are others who haven`t fled the city as they haven`t had the means, said Melissa Fleming, spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Aleppo, a city inhabited by 2.5 millions, has been mired in a severe conflict for a week now, and UN figures suggest a total of 15,000 to 18,000 have been displaced.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka