Bayern beat Hertha to clinch Bundesliga title
Berlin: Bayern Munich beat relegated Hertha Berlin 3-1 on Saturday to win the German championship for a record 22nd time and keep their treble hopes on track.
Arjen Robben, the champions’ best player this season, struck twice after Ivica Olic had put them in the lead in the 20th minute and Adrian Ramos had equalised for the Berliners on the hour.
Bayern, who finished on 70 points, five ahead of second-placed Schalke 04, are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a Germany team, playing in the German Cup final on May 15 and the Champions League final a week later.
Dutchman Mark van Bommel became the club’s first foreign captain to lift the Bundesliga trophy, in front of 75,000 spectators in the Olympic stadium, before he and his team mates chased coach Louis van Gaal around the pitch to pour beer on him.
Van Gaal, a renowned disciplinarian, tried to outsprint them, then gladly obliged and waved to the fans.
In a contrast of emotions, Hertha players quickly left the pitch after a disastrous season, with several of them set to leave and with fans in no mood to bid them farewell.
Schalke drew 0-0 at Mainz but had already secured the second spot and will compete in next season’s Champions League. Werder Bremen clinched the Champions League qualification spot after drawing 1-1 with Hamburg SV to finish third on 61 points.
The result left frustrated Hamburg, in seventh place, outside the European spots, with VfB Stuttgart, in sixth place, grabbing the last available place.
Hosts VfL Bochum slumped to a 3-0 defeat to Hanover 96 and will join Hertha on the way down.
Nuremberg finished third from bottom and will play a relegation playoff with the third-best second division team.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview