Bayern beat Hertha to clinch Bundesliga title
Berlin: Bayern Munich beat relegated Hertha Berlin 3-1 on Saturday to win the German championship for a record 22nd time and keep their treble hopes on track.
Arjen Robben, the champions’ best player this season, struck twice after Ivica Olic had put them in the lead in the 20th minute and Adrian Ramos had equalised for the Berliners on the hour.
Bayern, who finished on 70 points, five ahead of second-placed Schalke 04, are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a Germany team, playing in the German Cup final on May 15 and the Champions League final a week later.
Dutchman Mark van Bommel became the club’s first foreign captain to lift the Bundesliga trophy, in front of 75,000 spectators in the Olympic stadium, before he and his team mates chased coach Louis van Gaal around the pitch to pour beer on him.
Van Gaal, a renowned disciplinarian, tried to outsprint them, then gladly obliged and waved to the fans.
In a contrast of emotions, Hertha players quickly left the pitch after a disastrous season, with several of them set to leave and with fans in no mood to bid them farewell.
Schalke drew 0-0 at Mainz but had already secured the second spot and will compete in next season’s Champions League. Werder Bremen clinched the Champions League qualification spot after drawing 1-1 with Hamburg SV to finish third on 61 points.
The result left frustrated Hamburg, in seventh place, outside the European spots, with VfB Stuttgart, in sixth place, grabbing the last available place.
Hosts VfL Bochum slumped to a 3-0 defeat to Hanover 96 and will join Hertha on the way down.
Nuremberg finished third from bottom and will play a relegation playoff with the third-best second division team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday