Bayern demolish EB 10-3
Kolkata: Playing scintillating soccer, the Allstars team of European powerhouse Bayern Munich demolished East Bengal Allstars 10-3 in a friendly match at Yuba Bharati
Krirangan on Wednesday to raise fund for street children in the city.
Reviving their magic touch of yesteryear`s, Brazil`s World Cup winner Paulo Serjio and German League and Cup winner Markus Munich shared seven goals between them and Wolfgang Dremmler struck twice and Harald Cerney slotted home a goal to decimate the hosts, whose all players on different occasions represented India in the last century.
1974 World Cup winning midfielder Paul Breitner, who led the side, was the chief architect in demolishing the red and gold brigade with his clinical passing.
Kabir Bose, Amit Das and Sanjoy Majhi scored one each for East Bengal in the 90-mintue game.
Playing one-touch football, Bayern scored the first goal in the 4th minute through striker Paulo Sergio, capitalising a pass from Andreas Brehme, a German World Cupper winner.
Harald Cerny doubled for Bayern in the 19th minute from a solo effort to beat goalkeeper Atanu Bhattacharya, a member of Asian Allstars team.
Before the half time, the visitors struck two more goals from Markus Munch and Paulo, who completed his hat-trick from a penalty kick in the second half.
As the stoppage time was being played seconds before the water break, Kabir Base reduced the margin 1-4 for East Bengal.
In the second half, the visitors renewed their attacking football and pumped in six more goals at ease, which also saw another hat-trick from Markus Munch.
East Bengal fielded three goalkeepers - Atanu in the first half, substitute Debashish Mukherjee conceded four goals before Arpan Dey came in charge and had to digest two goals.
Amit Das and Sanjoy Majhi scored in the 81th and 89th minutes respectively.
The winners received J C Guha Centenary Cup while East Bengal took Dr Nripen Dey runners-up trophy.
The stadium plunged into darkness for about five minutes soon after Paul Breitner`s post match press conference, resulting to some difficulty for the spectators at the exit points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley