Bayern Munich keen to promote Indian football
Kolkata: European giants Bayern Munich, now in the city to play a charity match for street children, are keen to have a long term project for the promotion of football in India.
Bayern have already picked up six boys from among the 96 scouts, aged 12-14 years, to impart a two-week training at in Munich, proving that they meant what they had promised two years ago.
Shillong`s Lajong FC took the lion`s share by getting their four players picked up -- Ram Chettri, Suman Rai, Donborlang Nongkynrih and Jacob Lalrawngbawla. Two boys -- Sanchayan Samaddar and Simanta Murmu -- were picked from the city, from a football clinic held at CCFC, under the banner of Adidas and the Audi India yesterday.
Germany`s World Cup winner Paul Breitner told newspersons last night that after returning home he would talk to Bayern`s CEO to officially take up the matter with Indian clubs and other institutions if the latter were really interested in continuing exchange of ideas and expertise.
Midfielder of World Cup winning West Germany`s 1974 squad, Breitner, now 59, is leading a 22-member FC Bayern All Stars team to play a charity match against East Bengal All Stars today.
"I would like to have this match again in Germany," Breitner, who was donning Bavarian dress, announced.
The German members with their traditional costumes -- leather shorts, white stockings and sweat shoes -- were a real match with East Bengal`s Allstars` `Bengali babu dress` -- `dhoti-Punjabi` and slippers.
Breitner believed that Indian football would find a place, like where Japan are today, if a long term strategy was taken inducting professional experts from Europe and other nations.
He said the results will come within 10-15 years if phase-wise training of coaches and players were taken up or exchange with footballing nations begins now.
Breitner said India needed long-term promotional strategy, such as best training for local coaches and players in Europe and South America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside