Bayern must make amends in Basel, says Rummenigge
Munich: Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists the German giants need to make amends for their poor Bundesliga form when they take on Basel in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Having won the domestic double in Germany last season, Bayern have got off to their worst league start in over 30 years and are ninth with just eight points from their first six games and are already 10 points behind leaders Mainz.
A 2-1 win at Munich’s Allianz Arena on Saturday made it six wins from six games for Mainz, but left Bayern’s plans for a strong start to the season in tatters.
Bayern need to bounce back with a strong performance at Basel’s St. Jakob Park to regain some flagging confidence and Rummenigge has put the blame for Saturday’s defeat squarely at the feet of the players.
“The nice thing about football is that you can make amends just three days later,” he said before insisting coach Louis van Gaal is not to blame for his side’s poor display.
“And we have to make amends, because a performance like that isn?t good enough for the Champions League - and not good enough for the Bundesliga either.”
Bayern have scored just five goals in six league games, and neither Germany striker Miroslav Klose nor Croatia’s Ivica Olic are hitting the back of the net.
“That has to improve. We?re used to our strikers providing us with plenty of goals, but they currently have none, and I don?t like that,” grumbled Rummenigge.
While Bayern were misfiring against Mainz, Basel warmed-up for Tuesday’s Group E match by earning a 4-1 win at FC Zurich.
“We were focused in defence, were patient in our build-up play and very effective in attack. We have to continue that on Tuesday,” said Basel coach Thorsten Fink, a former Bayern Munich player, whose side are second in the Swiss league.
“My team has put in a mature performance and responded well to the not so positive results from the last.”
With six points from their last six games prior to this weekend, Basel have also struggled for form this season and Bayern are favourites to add to the three points they already have from their 2-0 win over Roma a fortnight ago.
While Fink has few injury problems, Bayern are missing both their playmakers Arjen Robben, with a thigh injury, and ankle-injury victim Franck Ribery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in