Bayern settle nerves with CL group spot
Berlin: Bayern Munich breathed a collective sigh of relief after booking a Champions League group stage spot with a 3-0 aggregate win over FC Zurich, taking the first step to what they hope will end with an appearance in the competition`s final in Munich next year.
Bayern made sure of their place in Europe`s premier club competition with a 1-0 win in Zurich on Tuesday following their 2-0 first leg win at home last week.
"A huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders because this is where Bayern belongs," said Bayern sports director Christian Nerlinger.
The record German champions only narrowly clinched third spot in the league last season, leaving them having to play off for a group spot and some jittery nerves as they are desperate for a good run in the competition with the final to be held on home turf next year.
Failure to qualify would also translate into a loss of 20 million euros in revenues.
"We have been feeling the pressure on the club and players in the past few weeks but we have now taken that crucial first step," Nerlinger told reporters.
Striker Mario Gomez`s seventh minute strike quickly settled any nerves and put the game essentially out of the Swiss team`s reach with the hosts needing four goals to advance.
Bayern, under new coach Jupp Heynckes, have yet to concede a goal in four consecutive league and European games this season.
"After our goal, we were not nervous anymore because defensively we are a very good team and allow little to happen in the back," Heynckes said. "It may have looked easy but we played very good football."
This is exactly what club bosses have been asking Heynckes to do as they eye a Champions League final spot in front of a home crowd.
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal was sacked late last season with the team`s defensive operation looking more like Swiss cheese than traditional German steel.
"We wanted that early goal to settle our nerves and for the rest of the game we followed through exactly like we should do," said scorer Gomez.
The four-time European champions will now wait to find out their group opponents at the competition`s draw on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?