Bekele targets 3,000 meters world indoor record
London: Twice Olympic 10,000 meters champion Kenenisa Bekele has his sights set on setting a fourth world indoor record in Birmingham, England next year.
The Ethiopian will race over 3,000 meters, the distance at which he won his only world indoor title in 2006, at the February 20 Grand Prix at the National Indoor Arena (NIA) where he has run three of his five personal best times on the indoor circuit.
"Five years ago I broke the world record in the 5,000 at the NIA and I also broke the 2,000 and two-mile records at the same arena so it`s definitely a track I enjoy running on," Bekele said in a statement from the organisers.
The three indoor world records he set in Birmingham all still stand and the Ethiopian`s familiarity with the track gives him good reason to believe he can claim another mark.
"Now I hope to break my fourth world record there, this time in the 3,000," added the 27-year-old. "However, it will be a tough record as it`s a very quick time to beat."
Bekele`s personal best is almost six seconds slower than the world record set 11 years ago by Kenya`s Daniel Komen in 7:24.90.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday