Beni pitches for post-poll alliance with BSP
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh is set for a change
of government, according to exit polls which have predicted a
rout for Chief Minister Mayawati, triggering reactions from
political parties with Union Minister and Congress leader Beni Prasad Verma pitching for a post-poll alliance with BSP.
However, neither the predicted winners nor those
projected not to be doing well have accepted the exit polls in
full with each contesting the findings.
Verma`s views have been rejected as personal by Congress
leaders including Pramod Tiwari, UP Congress Legislature Party
chief, and party General Secretary Rashid Alvi.
Akhilesh Yadav, son of Mulayam Singh Yadav, who is
believed to have been the main campaigner in revival of
fortunes of SP, expressed confidence that his party will
get majority on its own and may not need Congress` support to
form a government.
He also said his father would be the chief minister in
case the party gets to form the government. He, however,
parried questions on seeking support of Congress or Rahul
Gandhi in case it falls short of numbers, maintaining that it
all depends on the poll results.
The exit polls conducted by TV channels have projected SP
in the lead in a hung house while one channel has given
Yadav`s party a clear majority by predicting that it may get
upto 210 seats in an assembly of 403 in UP.
Star News-AC Neilson exit poll showed SP emerging as the
single largest party with 183 seats, followed by BSP with 83
According to it, BJP would win 71 seats, Congress 51 and
its ally RLD 11 seats. Independents and others are shown
victorious in two seats each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra