Bent says pulled out of England squad with injury
London: Aston Villa striker Darren Bent was due to be included in England`s squad for Wednesday`s friendly with Netherlands but pulled out injured, he said on Sunday.
Danny Welbeck was therefore chosen as the fourth striker in the squad named by Fabio Capello on Saturday despite looking set to be a Manchester United reserve this season while Tottenham Hotspur`s Jermain Defoe was overlooked.
"Gutted I had to pull out of the England squad, the shoulder has been bothering me and want to make sure I`m fully fit for the big KO (Premier league kickoff) next week," Bent wrote on Twitter.
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was included in the squad despite suffering his own knock.
"They can include him as much as they want, he will not play," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told his club`s website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas