Bent says pulled out of England squad with injury
London: Aston Villa striker Darren Bent was due to be included in England`s squad for Wednesday`s friendly with Netherlands but pulled out injured, he said on Sunday.
Danny Welbeck was therefore chosen as the fourth striker in the squad named by Fabio Capello on Saturday despite looking set to be a Manchester United reserve this season while Tottenham Hotspur`s Jermain Defoe was overlooked.
"Gutted I had to pull out of the England squad, the shoulder has been bothering me and want to make sure I`m fully fit for the big KO (Premier league kickoff) next week," Bent wrote on Twitter.
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was included in the squad despite suffering his own knock.
"They can include him as much as they want, he will not play," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told his club`s website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves