Berdych to meet Soderling in Miami semis
Miami: Czech Tomas Berdych fought back from a set down to beat Spain’s Fernando Verdasco 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 on Thursday and set up a Sony Ericsson Open semi-final against Robin Soderling.
Berdych, the number 16 who eliminated top seed Roger Federer in the previous round, struggled in the opening set but came out on top in the tiebreak in the second and produced an aggressive display in the deciding third set.
After another impressive win, Berdych will be confident of getting through to Sunday’s final. Andy Roddick and Rafa Nadal will meet in Friday’s first semi-final.
“The start was quite slow for me because I was still feeling a little bit tired after the long, long match against Roger that finished late in the night,” Berdych said.
“But then finally I found my rhythm, started to play really well and I think the beginning of the third set Fernando was struggling a bit and maybe he was maybe a little bit tired -- that was my advantage. I’m very happy that I used it and got through.”
The Czech broke with a superb backhand crosscourt pass in the seventh game of the final set and from that point there was little doubt about the outcome, with 10th seed Verdasco blasting the ball but lacking control.
“I was feeling that I can play the long rallies so I was just trying to keep the ball in play as long as I could and just to give him the chance to make an error -- most of the time that worked,” he said.
Berdych next faces Soderling, who scored a 6-1 6-4 win over Russian Mikhail Youzhny.
The fifth-seeded Swede suffered a break on his first serve but recovered in splendid fashion to win the next six games.
Neither player could establish control on serve in the second set, with the first three games all going against serve, but Soderling did enough to run out a comfortable winner in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details