Bharat Ratna for Tendulkar soon?
New Delhi: The increasing decibel level of voices clamouring for awarding Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar has led the Home Ministry to send a letter to the Prime Minister’s office recommending inclusion of sports as a category for Bharat Ratna.
The letter asked for amendments to include sports as a category that will in turn make exceptional sportspersons eligible to be considered for the highest civilian honour.
If the recommendations are agreed upon, cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar might be the first sportsman to be awarded India`s highest civilian award.
As per the present guidelines, Bharat Ratna is awarded for exceptional service towards advancement of art, literature and science, and in recognition of public service of the highest order.
This proposal has received good support from all corners. Congress had justified the government`s proposal to include Sports as a category for Bharat Ratna awards.
"India has some jewels who do not require any awards to remain jewels. Sachin is also such a jewel. This is an important proposal to include Sports in the category for Bharat Ratna. This is not a question of an individual but including a category." party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken had earlier sent a note to P Chidambaram back in April to include sports in the list of categories for Bharat Ratna that in turn led the home ministry forwarding a letter with positive observations to the PMO.
The demand to bestow Sachin with the Bharat Ratna was first made way back in the year 2003 by the Shiv Sena and subsequently by the then Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Murli Manohar Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender