Bharti Airtel confident on 3G timeline
Hong Kong: Bharti Airtel, India`s top mobile phone operator, said it is confident the country will proceed on schedule with 3G spectrum auctions in January, with high hopes for the technology in the competitive market.
India held a pre-bidding conference on Monday in the run-up to third- generation (3G) spectrum auctions that have been twice delayed but are now scheduled to take place on January 14.
"It went well. Our confidence is high," Bharti Chief Executive Manoj Kohli told Reuters in an interview in Hong Kong, commenting on the Monday conference.
"If everything goes well, within a few weeks of the auction we should get some spectrum." India is the world`s fastest-growing major mobile market, but it is also becoming increasingly competitive as existing players cut rates to attract subscribers before four new companies start operation this year.
Bharti expected the current state of stiff competition to continue into 2010, as the government worked on new rules that may allow faster consolidation, Kohli said. "This intensive hyper-competitive market is a short-term phenomenon, maybe two to three quarters," he said.
"Consolidation, I think, will be expedited by the hyper-competitive situation in the market."
Airtel connects Asia-Pacific with Far East Network
The country`s largest mobile services operator Bharti Airtel on Tuesday launched Far-East Connect Cable Network to offer seamless connectivity to telcos across Asia Pacific.
This would enable Bharti to extend its reach to Australia, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, the US and Vietnam.
“The launch of the Far-East Connect network is another step towards our vision of making Bharti Airtel the communication services partner of choice for global telcos," Bharti Airtel CEO and Joint MD Manoj Kohli said today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened