Bharti Airtel Q3 net up 2.3%; at Rs 2,209.8 cr
New Delhi: Telecom service provider Bharti Airtel on Friday reported a low net profit growth of 2.3 percent at Rs 2,209.80 crore for the quarter ending December 31, 2009, weighed down heavily by low tariff and severe competition.
Total revenue, as per the US accounting rules, rose over one percent to Rs 9,772.20 crore during the December quarter, from Rs 9,633.4 crore in the corresponding period last year, Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
"In a hyper competitive situation like (the one) we are witnessing now in the industry, we have retained our revenue market share at 32 percent and have a very strong EBITDA margin at 40 percent, which shows our strong performance," Bharti Airtel Group CEO Manoj Kohli told reporters.
He said that the trend of adding 15-16 million subscriber a month is not adding more revenue to the industry as the revenue earnings customers are less.
"Real customers addition will be in single digit. We do not see customers holding multiple SIM cards adding to revenue," he said.
In a weak broader market shares of Bharti gained 2.37 percent over last close to trade at Rs 329.80 on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Kohli added that Airtel is expecting more competition from the new player, who are likely to start services in the next few months.
As per Indian accounting norms, Bharti Airtel posted over 13 percent increase in net profit at Rs 2,236.90 crore. The total income rose to Rs 10,327.57 crore during the quarter from Rs 9,688.5 crore in the year-ago period.
Kohli said the hyper competition will continue for a couple of more quarter and the industry will see stability in the market only in the second half of 2010.
He said that the existing operators are going to fight out
these competitions from new players in lower tariff and
"I think the new players are going to face a lot of difficulties in terms of sustaining themselves," Kohli added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp