Bharti offers last-mile sweeteners for MTN: Report
New Delhi: Bharti Airtel has offered to retain the top management at MTN for at least three years and given the option of an all-cash offer to minority MTN shareholders to sew up the planned tie-up between the two firms, a newspaper report said on Tuesday.
The paper, citing a person familiar with the revised tie-up plan, said MTN would get a 27-percent stake in Bharti instead of the 25 percent earlier proposed.
MTN`s minority shareholders would have the option to take USD 13 billion in cash instead of USD 7 billion cash and USD 6 billion worth of stock, the paper said.
Bharti would also cap its holding in MTN at 49 percent for at least five years. These moves would pacify the South African government keen on retaining MTN`s national character, the paper said.
A Bharti Airtel spokesman said the company would not like to comment beyond an earlier statement. The company had said on September 9 that despite reports in the media, no agreement had been reached between the two companies and discussions were still ongoing.
The planned tie-up between the two firms, which may lead to an eventual merger, would create the world`s third-largest mobile phone group by subscribers but is subject to end-September deadline. The firms have extended the talks twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured