Bharti offers last-mile sweeteners for MTN: Report
New Delhi: Bharti Airtel has offered to retain the top management at MTN for at least three years and given the option of an all-cash offer to minority MTN shareholders to sew up the planned tie-up between the two firms, a newspaper report said on Tuesday.
The paper, citing a person familiar with the revised tie-up plan, said MTN would get a 27-percent stake in Bharti instead of the 25 percent earlier proposed.
MTN`s minority shareholders would have the option to take USD 13 billion in cash instead of USD 7 billion cash and USD 6 billion worth of stock, the paper said.
Bharti would also cap its holding in MTN at 49 percent for at least five years. These moves would pacify the South African government keen on retaining MTN`s national character, the paper said.
A Bharti Airtel spokesman said the company would not like to comment beyond an earlier statement. The company had said on September 9 that despite reports in the media, no agreement had been reached between the two companies and discussions were still ongoing.
The planned tie-up between the two firms, which may lead to an eventual merger, would create the world`s third-largest mobile phone group by subscribers but is subject to end-September deadline. The firms have extended the talks twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch