Bharti offers last-mile sweeteners for MTN: Report
New Delhi: Bharti Airtel has offered to retain the top management at MTN for at least three years and given the option of an all-cash offer to minority MTN shareholders to sew up the planned tie-up between the two firms, a newspaper report said on Tuesday.
The paper, citing a person familiar with the revised tie-up plan, said MTN would get a 27-percent stake in Bharti instead of the 25 percent earlier proposed.
MTN`s minority shareholders would have the option to take USD 13 billion in cash instead of USD 7 billion cash and USD 6 billion worth of stock, the paper said.
Bharti would also cap its holding in MTN at 49 percent for at least five years. These moves would pacify the South African government keen on retaining MTN`s national character, the paper said.
A Bharti Airtel spokesman said the company would not like to comment beyond an earlier statement. The company had said on September 9 that despite reports in the media, no agreement had been reached between the two companies and discussions were still ongoing.
The planned tie-up between the two firms, which may lead to an eventual merger, would create the world`s third-largest mobile phone group by subscribers but is subject to end-September deadline. The firms have extended the talks twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling