Bhat in pre-quarterfinals of Australian Open badminton
Melbourne: National champion Arvind Bhat reached the pre-quarterfinals of the Australian Open badminton tournament after beating Iranian Kaveh Mehrabi in the second round here on Wednesday.
Arvind was the lone survivor from India in men`s singles as his colleagues RMV Gurusai Datt, Aditya Elango and Eshan Naqvi lost their respective matches.
Arvind defeated Mehrabi 21-14, 21-16, but the other Indians in the fray had a disappointing day.
Datt lost to China`s Yi Lu 11-21, 18-21, Elango was shown the door by Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 12-21, 5-21, while Naqvi was knocked out by Hong Kong`s Yan Kit Chan 7-21, 8-21.
Arvind had defeated USA`s Nicholas Jinadasa 21-19 21-5 in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown