Bihar BJP rocked by dissidence, accuses JD(U) of poaching MLAs
Patna: Rattled by revolt after the ruling JD(U) snapped ties with it last month, Bihar BJP on Sunday suspended its MLA Amarnath Gami, who had rebelled against senior leader Sushil Kumar Modi, for six years and accused the Nitish Kumar government of "luring" its legislators.
The JD(U), however, claimed there was "panic" in BJP and that a dozen of its MLAs were ready to "crossover" as they were unhappy with the party leadership.
Gami was suspended six years for alleging that Sushil Kumar Modi had `hijacked` the party, accused him of being power hungry, monopolising party affairs and promoting sycophants while neglecting genuine workers like him.
Talking to PTI, Gami, MLA from Hayaghat in Darbhanga district, claimed that nearly a dozen other BJP MLAs harboured similar views about Modi and they would come into the open gradually.
Gami described his suspension without any show-cause notice being served as `undemocratic` and an example of Modi`s monopoly over the party. State BJP President Mangal Pandey dismissed Gami`s allegations and justified his suspension.
Hitting out at JD(U), Pandey said, "Our MLAs are being lured away. They are being offered Ministership and their relatives are being promised seats in the legislative council".
He accused Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of trying to shore up his numbers by wooing BJP legislators. "The day the Chief Minister expands his Council of Ministers, there will be a split in JD(U). So, he is trying to increase his numbers in the assembly".
After dumping BJP last month in the wake of Narendra Modi being appointed as chief of the party`s election campaign committee, the Nitish Kumar government had comfortably won a vote of confidence in the 243-member Bihar Assembly with Congress backing it.
A total of 126 votes, including four of Congress and one of CPI, were cast in favour of the confidence motion while 24, including 22 of Lalu Prasad-led RJD, voted against the motion as BJP members staged a walkout before the vote.
State BJP Vice president Sanjay Mayukh in a statement said Pandey has suspended Gami for anti-party activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in