Bihar BJP rocked by dissidence, accuses JD(U) of poaching MLAs
Patna: Rattled by revolt after the ruling JD(U) snapped ties with it last month, Bihar BJP on Sunday suspended its MLA Amarnath Gami, who had rebelled against senior leader Sushil Kumar Modi, for six years and accused the Nitish Kumar government of "luring" its legislators.
The JD(U), however, claimed there was "panic" in BJP and that a dozen of its MLAs were ready to "crossover" as they were unhappy with the party leadership.
Gami was suspended six years for alleging that Sushil Kumar Modi had `hijacked` the party, accused him of being power hungry, monopolising party affairs and promoting sycophants while neglecting genuine workers like him.
Talking to PTI, Gami, MLA from Hayaghat in Darbhanga district, claimed that nearly a dozen other BJP MLAs harboured similar views about Modi and they would come into the open gradually.
Gami described his suspension without any show-cause notice being served as `undemocratic` and an example of Modi`s monopoly over the party. State BJP President Mangal Pandey dismissed Gami`s allegations and justified his suspension.
Hitting out at JD(U), Pandey said, "Our MLAs are being lured away. They are being offered Ministership and their relatives are being promised seats in the legislative council".
He accused Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of trying to shore up his numbers by wooing BJP legislators. "The day the Chief Minister expands his Council of Ministers, there will be a split in JD(U). So, he is trying to increase his numbers in the assembly".
After dumping BJP last month in the wake of Narendra Modi being appointed as chief of the party`s election campaign committee, the Nitish Kumar government had comfortably won a vote of confidence in the 243-member Bihar Assembly with Congress backing it.
A total of 126 votes, including four of Congress and one of CPI, were cast in favour of the confidence motion while 24, including 22 of Lalu Prasad-led RJD, voted against the motion as BJP members staged a walkout before the vote.
State BJP Vice president Sanjay Mayukh in a statement said Pandey has suspended Gami for anti-party activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts