Bihar CM vows to hunt molesters
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has vowed to chase the molesters accused of abusing, assaulting and then stripping a woman on a Patna road.
The Chief Minister has further ensured a speedy trial in the case.
Kumar has ordered state police chief DN Gautam to inquire into the alleged assault and stripping of a woman by a group of men here after the Opposition and women`s rights activists created an uproar over the incident.
Officials said the Chief Minister ordered Gautam to undertake the probe on Thursday night although the police headquarters had already asked Inspector General (Patna zone) Sunil Kumar to look into the incident.
A police team was reportedly present at the site and watched the attack on the woman for nearly an hour before taking the culprits to the police station.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Neelmani said Assistant Sub-Inspector Shiv Nath Singh, who was in charge of patrolling the area, has been suspended for not helping the woman in time.
The woman was identified as resident of Jesidih, a town in the neighbouring state Jharkhand. Rakesh Kumar, a resident of Punaichak here, had lured her to Patna with a promise of providing a job to her.
Soon after she came here, Rakesh forced her to have sex with his friends. She ran away from the hotel where she had been staying with him for the last few days. However, Rakesh and his friends caught up with her and attacked her.
Police have arrested Rakesh, who is said to be involved in the flesh trade.
"Police have lodged a case against Rakesh and others on the basis of the statement of the woman," an official said.
The state women`s commission has asked Patna Senior Superintendent of Police R Mallar Vizhi to submit a report on the incident.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad condemned the incident and said that it shows that no government existed in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender