Bihar CM vows to hunt molesters
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has vowed to chase the molesters accused of abusing, assaulting and then stripping a woman on a Patna road.
The Chief Minister has further ensured a speedy trial in the case.
Kumar has ordered state police chief DN Gautam to inquire into the alleged assault and stripping of a woman by a group of men here after the Opposition and women`s rights activists created an uproar over the incident.
Officials said the Chief Minister ordered Gautam to undertake the probe on Thursday night although the police headquarters had already asked Inspector General (Patna zone) Sunil Kumar to look into the incident.
A police team was reportedly present at the site and watched the attack on the woman for nearly an hour before taking the culprits to the police station.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Neelmani said Assistant Sub-Inspector Shiv Nath Singh, who was in charge of patrolling the area, has been suspended for not helping the woman in time.
The woman was identified as resident of Jesidih, a town in the neighbouring state Jharkhand. Rakesh Kumar, a resident of Punaichak here, had lured her to Patna with a promise of providing a job to her.
Soon after she came here, Rakesh forced her to have sex with his friends. She ran away from the hotel where she had been staying with him for the last few days. However, Rakesh and his friends caught up with her and attacked her.
Police have arrested Rakesh, who is said to be involved in the flesh trade.
"Police have lodged a case against Rakesh and others on the basis of the statement of the woman," an official said.
The state women`s commission has asked Patna Senior Superintendent of Police R Mallar Vizhi to submit a report on the incident.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad condemned the incident and said that it shows that no government existed in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement