Bihar polls: Campaigning for 1st phase ends today
New Delhi: The campaigning for first phase of crucial Bihar Assembly polls is set to end Tuesday with the Congress intensifying its attack against the ruling BJP-JD-(U) alliance and RJD chief Lalu Prasad squarely blaming the three main parties for the plight of Bihar.
Congress, which is treating the Assembly election in Bihar as a dress rehearsal before launching its revival process in a state where it has been out of power for almost two decades, is set to release its manifesto today.
According to party sources, the manifesto had been sent to the central high command for final clearance.
Meanwhile, the BJP patriach LK Advani will visit Bihar today to address election meetings in favour of NDA candidates for first leg of the six-phase state Assembly polls starting from October 21.
Advani will address election meetings at Motihari, Muzaffarpur and Darbhanga.
The BJP leadership has also cleared air on media speculations that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had insisted the party to keep Advani, a votary of the Ram temple construction at Ayodhya, and other hardline leaders at bay in order to woo the minorities in good humour for votes.
The ruling allies BJP and JD(U) have also entered into an agreement to hold joint campaigning for NDA candidates if the need arises.
The BJP leadership is confident that the NDA will ride on political consolidation among the electorate to give the ruling coalition and a historic verdict.
The first phase of Bihar election, involving 47 Assembly seats, is believed to be the most crucial for the ruling party at the Centre given the fact that Muslim votes are expected to play a decisive role in at least 25 of these constituencies.
The Congress has fielded its top guns, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, to campaign in the first phase.
While the party’s top leaders sought to nail down the government on the use of Central funds in the state.
The Congress leadership has been treating Lalu Prasad Yadav’s RJD as its “no.1 enemy” in Bihar. The grand old party of India would like to use the ongoing election as a launch pad to initiate the party’s revival process in the state, which will hinge on winning back its traditional votebanks of dalits, Muslims and upper castes. In a move that is said to have irked the RJD supremo, the Congress has fielded 47 Muslim and 20 Yadav candidates in this election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi