Bihar`s Golden girl Smita Kumari felicitated
Patna: Smita Kumari, member of the gold medal winning women`s Kabbadi team in the recent Guangzihou Asian Games, arrived here today to a tumultous reception.
State Water Resources Minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary received her on arrival from New Delhi.
Choudhary said that Smita had not only brought pride to India but also for people of Bihar.
``We all feel proud of being Bihari``, Choudhary said adding the state government would felicitate Smita soon and offer her a job.
Smita is employed with the Indian Railways since 2008.
Later, talking to PTI, Smita said she had fulfilled the promise she made before leaving for participating in the game. "And for me it was a great moment when we defeated Thailand in the finals and I will always remember the day."
The women`s kabbadi team made history on its debut at the Asian Games, Smita said and noted that the contest was tough, especialy against Iran and Bangladesh but the team effort led to accomplishing the task.
She thanked the coach Mukesh Kumar and Secretary of the state Kabbadi Association and Indian team manager Kumar Vijay for boosting the morale and offering encouragement that helped
her entry into the national team.
I have dedicated my gold to all the Biharis whose blessings remain with me+, the Kabaddi girl from Maranchi village in Bihar`s Patna district said.
Indian kabaddi team Manager for men and women, Kumar Vijay said, "we made history in the both sections as in the men`s section, we bagged the gold sixth time in a row, whereas in the women`s section we got the gold in the debut.
Our fight for introducing Kabbadi in the Olympic Games will continue, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth