Bill Gates still richest American: Forbes
New York: Things are on the up for US billionaires with more than half of them adding to their net worth in a year which once again saw Bill Gates as the richest of them all, Forbes magazine has said.
Gates, founder of Microsoft, was the richest person in the United States for the 17th year in a row with an estimated worth of USD 54 billion, up USD 4 billion from last year.
No 2 on the list was investor Warren Buffett, worth USD 45 billion, up USD 5 billion. Oracle founder Larry Ellison`s net worth was unchanged, in third place, at USD 27 billion. Christy Walton, heir to Walmart founder Sam Walton`s fortune, was in fourth place with USD 24 billion, up USD 2.5 billion.
In stark contrast to the 2009 Forbes 400 list, 217 of the tycoons are now worth more than they were a year ago. Just 84 of the billionaires had a decrease in wealth.
In 2009, a whopping 314 members of the exclusive club had experienced a decrease in their wealth.
The top 10 gained USD 24.9 billion. The same group had shed almost USD 40 billion last year.
The total wealth of the group is up 8 percent, besting the Standard & Poor`s 500 index, which measured a stock market increase of just 1 percent, Forbes said.
The Forbes 400 are worth a combined USD 1.37 trillion, compared with USD 1.27 trillion last year.
The price of admission to the list is back up to USD 1 billion from 2009 when USD 950 million was enough to make the top 400.
There are no new entries or drop-offs in the top 10 but the list shuffled. The Koch brothers, heads of energy and manufacturing giant Koch Industries, now rank above three other members of the Walton family and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, founder of news and information company Bloomberg LP, who round out the top 10.
Facebook`s Mark Zuckerberg, No 35, saw the largest relative increase, more than tripling his fortune to USD 6.9 billion from USD 2 billion. Fellow Facebook co-founders Dustin Moskovitz and Eduardo Saverin join the list with fortunes of USD 1.4 billion and USD 1.15 billion, respectively. Born eight days after Zuckerberg, 26-year-old Moskovitz is the world`s youngest billionaire.
The oldest tycoon on the list is David Rockefeller Sr., 95, worth USD 2.4 billion.
Media magnate Oprah Winfrey comes in at No 130 and is one of 42 women on the list.
Automobile heir William Ford Sr made the list for the first time since 2005, at the 385th spot with USD1 billion after Ford Motors Co`s stock rose 50 percent and hit a 5-year-high.
California is the state with the most billionaires -- 83 -- among them No 332 Meg Whitman, worth USD 1.2 billion, the Republican candidate for governor of the state in November elections.
The full Forbes 400 list can be seen at www.forbes.com/Forbes400.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in