Bilyaletdinov gives Russia 2-1 win over Slovenia
Moscow: A double by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov powered Russia to a 2-1 win over Slovenia in the first leg of their World Cup playoff on Saturday.
Bilyaletdinov put the home team ahead in the 40th minute when he took a pass from Roman Pavlyuchenko just inside the penalty box, turned neatly past Slovenia defender Marko Suler and fired a right-footed shot into the top corner.
The Everton winger doubled the lead seven minutes into the second half, beating Slovenia keeper Samir Handanovic from close range with his second attempt following a good work by captain Andrei Arshavin.
Substitute Nejc Pecnik gave the Slovenians what could prove a crucial away goal before the return leg in Maribor on Wednesday when he headed into an empty goal after Russia keeper Igor Akinfeyev stopped Milivoje Novakovic`s drive with two minutes remaining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown