Bindra, Narang in India’s CWG shooting team
New Delhi: Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra will spearhead the Indian shooting challenge in both the Commonwealth and Asian Games along with other top marksmen such as Gagan Narang and Manavjit Singh Sandhu.
Bindra along with Narang will represent the country in 10m air rifle event in the October 3 to 14 Delhi Commonwealth Games, the National Rifles Association of India said in a statement.
“Narang, however, will also compete in the 50m prone and 50m 3 position events. He will be the only shooter to participate in three rifle events,” the NRAI said.
“This the best team we could have picked and it is picked purely on current form and caliber. The selection trials were transparent and all the guys who have done well have made the team,” national coach Sunny Thomas, who attended the selection committee meeting here on Wednesday, told PTI.
However, there was disappointment for rifle shooter Sanjeev Rajput as he failed to make the team for Delhi Games but managed to get into the Asian Games squad.
“Sanjeev was not in good form earlier but he has been recovering and seems to be getting back in touch. I am happy that he could make the Asian Games,” said Thomas.
Pistol shooter Samresh Jung, nicknamed ‘Goldfinger’ after his five gold, a silver and a bronze in the 2006 Commonwealth Games, has only qualified for standard pistol event for the upcoming edition.
In the double trap event, in the absence of Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who skipped the trials to protest the selection policy, the slot has been filled by upcoming shooter Asher Noria.
Ronjan Sodhi is the other shooter in the event.
The trap event expectedly features former world champion Manavjit Singh Sandhu, who would be seen in action in both Commonwealth and Asian Games.
The women’s team didn’t offer many surprises with Tejaswini Sawant, who became the first ever Indian woman shooter to become a world champion by clinching the 50m Rifle prone Air Rifle gold in the Munich edition last month, getting the nod for both the Asian and Commonwealth Games.
Men Rifle: Abhinav Bindra, Hariom Singh, Gagan Narang, Imran Hassan Khan
Men Pistol: Deepak Sharma, Omkar Singh, Vijay Kumar, Gurpreet Singh, Samaresh Jung, C K Chaudhary, Harpreet Singh
Men Shotgun: Manavjit Singh Sandhu, Mansher Singh, Mairaj Ahmad Khan, A D Peoples, Ronjon Sodhi, Asher Noria
Women Rifle: Suma Shirur, Kavitha Yadav, Meena Kumari, Tejaswini Sawant, Lajja Gauswami
Women Pistol: Anisa Sayyed, Rahi Sarnobat, Heena Sidhu, Annuraj Singh
Women Shotgun: Seema Tomar, Shreyasi Singh
Men Rifle: Hariom Singh, Gagan Narang, Surendra Singh Rathod, Imran Hasan Khan, Sanjeev Rajput, Abhinav Bidnra
Men Pistol: Deepak Sharma, Omkar Singh, Amanpreet Singh, Vijay Kumar, Rahul Panwar, Gurpreet Singh, Samaresh Jung, C K Chaudhary, Pemba Tamang, Harpreet Singh
Men Shotgun: Manavjit Singh Sandhu, Mansher Singh, Zorawar Singh Sandhu, Mairaj Ahmad Khan, A D Peoples, Smit Singh, Ronjon Sodhi, Asher Noria, Vikram Bhatnagar
Women Rifle: Suma Shirur, Kavitha Yadav, Tejaswini Sawant, Meena Kumari, Lajja Gauswami, Chetanpreet Kaur Nilon
Women Pistol: Anisa SAyyed, Rahi Sarnobat, Annuraj Singh, Heena Sidhu, Shweta Chaudhary/Sonia Rai
Women Shotgun: Seema Tomar, Shreyasi Singh, Shagun Chowdhary, Aarti Singh Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues