Birdie blitz puts Driscoll two ahead at Puerto Rico Open
Rio Grande: American James Driscoll used a string of seven straight birdies to card a nine-under-par 63 for a two-shot lead after the opening round of the Puerto Rico Open on Thursday.
Driscoll`s round, which started on the back nine, could have been even better but he followed an eagle at the par-five fifth with a pair of bogeys at the seventh and eighth.
Compatriot Will Mackenzie was two shots back followed by a trio on six-under made up of 2009 US Masters winner Angel Cabrera and Americans Omar Uresti and Brendan Steele.
Driscoll`s round equalled the course record and he said he was not too disheartened by the late bogeys.
"With three holes to go I definitely could have been lower but I got a few lucky breaks out there, too, so I`m not really looking back thinking that it should have been a lot lower," said Driscoll.
"I made two putts that you don`t expect to make from off the green that are like 50-footers up through about five paces of fairway and up a slope and both of those went in."
"So it was kind of one of those days where you felt like you got a little bit of luck but also made some good shots."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Salman Khan rules 2015 Bollywood Box Office – here’s why