Birmingham City in deal over possible takeover
London: Birmingham City said Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung`s investment company, Grandtop International Holdings, has placed a deposit with a view to making an offer for the Premier League football club.
"Grandtop, the holder of an existing 29.9 percent interest in the issued share capital of Birmingham, has put down a deposit of 3 million pounds with a view to making an offer for the entire issued share capital of the company other than the shares in Birmingham already held by Grandtop," Birmingham said in a statement on Thursday.
The potential offer of 1 pound per share is in respect of 40.8 million shares -- or around 50 percent of Birmingham`s issued share capital -- which would value Birmingham City at roughly 81.5 million pounds.
The recently-promoted club said the deposit was a surety for Grandtop`s ability and intention to make an offer, without which the club would be unable to commit resources to considering an offer.
If an offer is agreed the deposit will be transferred to a receiving agent to be used as part of the payment to accepting shareholders, said the club.
Grandtop, which is 13.7 percent owned by billionaire Yeung, took a 29.9 percent stake in the club in 2007 in what was supposed to be a precursor to a full takeover.
Shares in Birmingham were trading at 71 pence, up 46.4 percent, at 2:20 p.m., valuing the business at just under 58 million pounds.
Earlier this month Birmingham City said the issue of funding would be a major factor in determining how the company responds to the move after a previous approach by Yeung fell through in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks