BJP comes out in support of Baba Ramdev
New Delhi: The main opposition party BJP on Wednesday extended full support to yoga guru Baba Ramdev, whose health deteriorated as his fast for tougher anti-graft laws and bringing back blackmoney from foreign nations, entered fifth day.
“I am extremely sad to see that Baba Ramdev’s health is deteriorating but happy to observe that he has become mentally stronger than ever,” Sushma Swaraj, the Leader of Opposition said after personally meeting the yoga guru at his Patanjali Yogapeeth ashram.
“It is disheartening to note that the UPA government is not taking any note of the yoga guru’s falling health as he has lost four to five kgs in all these days due to his agitation. I want to say that the whole nation is concerned over Baba Ramdev’s health and we all are with him,” she said.
Launching a direct attack on the Congress parry, the BJP leader said, “Instead of finding a way out, the government is deliberating avoiding the issue. I am deeply surprised over the Prime Minister’s remarks that the Ramlila incident was unfortunate but there was no alternative.”
“I would like to ask them who have pushed Baba Ramdev to this stage? Who is responsible for allowing the crackdown on the yoga guru and his followers on June 5,” she asked.
Coming down heavily on the Congress party, the firebrand BJP leader said, “It seems that the Congress government has lost its mental balance. It sends four top ministers to meet Ramdev on one hand, but it dispatches 5000 policemen to crush his movement on the other.”
The Leader of Opposition also slammed Congress leaders and the government ministers for giving a false account of the Ramlila Maidan incident and the fatal injuries received by several satyagrahis due to the police action.
She, however, concluded by saying that her party has stuck no deal with Baba Ramdev but will continue to support him on the pretext that whatever happened was a gross violation of civil liberties.
Expressing solidarity with Baba Ramdev, the BJP has also scoffed at suggestions that the yoga guru had the backing of it or RSS.
On Sunday, BJP had launched a nation-wide 24-hour-long agitation against police crackdown on Ramdev supporters and corruption even as it asked the government to bring back black money parked abroad.
Meanwhile, doctors attending to the yoga guru have advised liquid intake and requested him to end his fast soon.
"His health is going down. He has lost weight and is suffering from dehydration. He is not keeping well," Chief Medical Officer, Haridwar Dr Yogesh Sharma said briefing mediapersons about Ramdev`s regular checkups.
The yoga guru, along with hundreds of his disciples, is observing a fast from June 4 at Patanjali Yogapeeth, around 20 kms from here, to press for his demands of bringing back black money from foreign nations, tougher anti-graft laws and to uproot corruption from the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH