BJP demands President`s rule in Manipur
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday demanded imposition
of President`s rule in Manipur, saying the Congress-led
government there had failed to curb militancy and the law and
order situation had deteriorated in the state.
The demand was made by a BJP delegation when it met Home
Minister P Chidambaram and handed over a memorandum demanding
imposition of Central rule.
"The constitutional machinery does not exist in the
state. When ministers and bureaucrats pay ransom every month,
it means the end of the rule of law. We demanded that the
government should go lock stock and barrel and President`s
rule be imposed," Prakash Javadekar, who led the delegation,
told reporters after the meeting.
Former Manipur Chief Minister W Napamacha and BJP state
unit president Borababu Singh were also in the delegation.
The BJP demanded a "concerted action plan" to fight
militancy within a span of one year so that industry and
tourism can grow in the state.
Javadekar claimed that people have lost faith in the
He said the delegation also emphasised strengthening of
vigil along the porous Indo-Myanmar border.
3 militants killed in Manipur
Three militants were today killed in
an encounter with police commandos in Bishenpur district of
Manipur, official sources said.
They said commandos, patrolling the Kumbi-Katha area
about 45 Kms south of here, were fired upon by militants,
triggering the encounter.
The commandos shot dead three militants of Kanglei Yawol
Kann Lup- Military Defence Force, the sources said adding one
M-16, one AK-56 and several rounds of ammunition were
The bodies have been sent to Regional Institute of Medical
Science and Hospital here for post mortem, sources said.
Over 300 persons have so far been killed this year in
militancy-related crimes in Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi