BJP demands President`s rule in Manipur
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday demanded imposition
of President`s rule in Manipur, saying the Congress-led
government there had failed to curb militancy and the law and
order situation had deteriorated in the state.
The demand was made by a BJP delegation when it met Home
Minister P Chidambaram and handed over a memorandum demanding
imposition of Central rule.
"The constitutional machinery does not exist in the
state. When ministers and bureaucrats pay ransom every month,
it means the end of the rule of law. We demanded that the
government should go lock stock and barrel and President`s
rule be imposed," Prakash Javadekar, who led the delegation,
told reporters after the meeting.
Former Manipur Chief Minister W Napamacha and BJP state
unit president Borababu Singh were also in the delegation.
The BJP demanded a "concerted action plan" to fight
militancy within a span of one year so that industry and
tourism can grow in the state.
Javadekar claimed that people have lost faith in the
He said the delegation also emphasised strengthening of
vigil along the porous Indo-Myanmar border.
3 militants killed in Manipur
Three militants were today killed in
an encounter with police commandos in Bishenpur district of
Manipur, official sources said.
They said commandos, patrolling the Kumbi-Katha area
about 45 Kms south of here, were fired upon by militants,
triggering the encounter.
The commandos shot dead three militants of Kanglei Yawol
Kann Lup- Military Defence Force, the sources said adding one
M-16, one AK-56 and several rounds of ammunition were
The bodies have been sent to Regional Institute of Medical
Science and Hospital here for post mortem, sources said.
Over 300 persons have so far been killed this year in
militancy-related crimes in Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- India needs to tread the innovation path to progress
- Janmashtami 2016: Send these devotional TEXT MESSAGES to your loved ones right away!
- Soon, you may use Wi-Fi on Indian flights
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test 'greatest success'
- Myanmar weighs damage after earthquake rattles Bagan pagodas