BJP MLA, supporters detained in Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar: Police tonight detained
sitting BJP MLA Kanubhai Kalsaria and his supporters at Vangar
village of Bhavnagar district of Gujarat who had taken out a
rally against granting of fertile land of farmers to a private
company to set up a cement plant.
"Kanubhai and about 300 of his supporters have been
detained by the police as they had taken out a torchlight
rally at in Vangar village without permission," a police
Kalsaria, a ruling party MLA, has been spearheading an
agitation for the last eight months against allocation of 268
hectares which mostly constitutes fertile land of farmers and
water bodies, to Nirma Ltd for setting up a cement plant at
Padhiyarka village in Mahuva taluka.
Kalsaria said their demand is that the cement factory
should not be allowed to come up at Mahua. "The cement company
will afect 10,000 farmers living around the plant as the
government has given rights to the company of mining in 4,000
hectare of land for limestone," he said.
Kalsaria said that in the next step farmers will march
to state capital Gandhinagar and intensify their agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!